Apps for Your Car
January – December 2013
- This project (funded by EIT ITC Labs) conducted several lines of application-oriented research aimed at
yielding best practices and tools for the rapidly growing class of mobile applications for use in automobiles.
- The work of the DFKI team focused on ways of supporting the choices that drivers make while selecting applications of this type.
December, 2009 – November, 2012
- The overall goal of the European Integrating Project Glocal was to develop improved techniques for the
sharing of media (e.g., photos and videos) among professional and/or nonprofessional users by supporting the organization of media in
terms of events.
- The DFKI team was responsible mainly for the design and evaluation of (personalized) user interfaces that enable users to benefit from
the technology developed in the project. The most general result was the paradigm of parallel faceted browsing, which is illustrated
with the demonstrator that was developed in technology transfer project EventMAP (funded by EIT ITC Labs).
December 2007 – March 2010
- This small targeted research unit, funded by the Autonomous Province of Trento, set itself the goal of helping researchers in HCI better
to understand and take into account the choices and decisions that computer users make about their use of interactive technology.
Project Halo 2
2004 – 2009
- Responsible for usability engineering, user support, and evaluation design within the DarkMatter team led by ontoprise, one of two
teams working within this Vulcan-sponsored project toward the development of a “Digital Aristotle”: an application capable of answering
novel questions and solving advanced problems in a broad range of scientific disciplines. Refinement phase: from February 2007.
MeMo: Usability Workbench for Rapid Product Development
July 2006 – June 2008
- In this project, funded by T-Labs (Berlin), a workbench is being developed that allows the simulation of the users’ interaction with
(variants of) a given system for the prediction of usability-relevant indices such as error frequencies and execution times.
2006 – 2008
Evaluation Center for Language Technology Systems
within the DFKI Competence Center for Language Technology
2002 – 2007
- Advancing the methodology for usability evaluation of a broad range of language technology systems.
- Conducting evaluations for companies developing such systems.
- Conducting comparative evaluations of several dozen German-language spoken dialog systems for the Voice Award competition.
2003 – 2005
- User-oriented development of a context- and affect-aware personal assistant that augments the user’s episodic memory and supports
decision making in instrumented environments.
Semantic Methods and Tools for Information Portals
2002 – 2005
- Development of personalized, ontology-based support for users of scientific information portals.
READY, Resource-adaptive dialog
1996 – 2004
- Investigating various fundamental issues in a decision-theoretic approach to adaptation to a user’s situationally determined time
pressure and cognitive load.